Book Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer

Monday, November 23, 2015

Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Genre: YA | Fantasy | Sci-Fi
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
My rating: 
Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana. Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long. Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?


The first word that comes to my mind when I think about this book is perfection.
But if I really think about it, it was not really perfect. Still great, but not flaw-less.

Since school is sucking the life out of me, I won't write a proper review, but still give you some of the things I didn't like and the things I liked.

First, the dislikes:

- Too much was happening at times, and the plot and writing suffered from it.
Some plot lines weren't even that necessary, since they were forgotten 50-pages later and never mentioned again. These side plots seemed a bit lazily written and not completely thought through.
I think the problem could have been solved sooner and the book could have been at least 200 pages shorter.

- There were too many repetition. Like, someone would get captured but then managed to escape, only to get captured again 100 pages later. It happened way too often and got a bit boring and annoying.
There wasn't much that surprised me in this book, and the majority of the plot-twists were quite predictable.


Other than that, I enjoyed this book a lot.

Winter's story was super interesting, and she as a character was really refreshing. Also, her relationship with Jacin was so sweet and honest. Her chapters were one of my favourite, though to the end it felt like Meyer didn't put much effort into developing Winter's character and her story further. Her ending just felt a bit... flat.

Cinder was as badass as ever, though some of her decisions were pretty stupid. Nevertheless, I love how her ending wrapped up and that she lived up to her potential. Kai was a cutie as ever.

Scarlet and Wolf were as heart-wrenching as ever, and I just loved Scarlet's and Winter's friendship. They were so weird and fun together.

Cress and Throne... I will never get over these idiots. They're my favourite couple of this series, though I disliked their story-line in Winter a bit, but their ending was amazing.


All in all I think the story was just a bit dragged out, and it would have been better if it was shorter.



ABOUT MAGGI
School is killing her, and she is in a weird reading-slump. All the reading she does these days is Pynch fanfiction and her calculus book. She also feels awfwul because she hasn't updated the blog in a long time.
Twitter Goodreads | Tumblr | Youtube